By Air to Sanya / Haikou
There are two airports in Hainan Island, Haikou Meilan Airport in the North (Haikou) and Sanya Phoenix International Airport (Sanya) in the South. More international airlines fly to Haikou Meilan Airport as compared to Sanya Phoenix Airport, which caters to primarily domestic flights.
By Train / Railway
Hainan island is also accessible by train with numerous routes highlighted below:
- Guangzhou to both Sanya and Haikou Hainan stations
- Beijing to both Sanya and Haikou Hainan stations
- Shanghai to both Sanya and Haikou Hainan stations
- Chengdu to Haikou Hainan stations
- Changsha to both Sanya and Haikou Hainan stations
- Xi'an to Haikou stations
By Ferry / Boat
Ferries are another option, it is however dependent on the weather conditions.
This specifically applies during the typhoon season (July to October) when the boat services are often suspended for 1 to 2 days.
Common routes include Beihai and Guangzhou to Haikou and Sanya.